Some other tips when obtaining a seller's permit (also referred to as a resale certificate or sales tax permit):
- It takes an average of 2-3 weeks to obtain one by mail, but you may obtain one on the spot in person at one of the BOE's field offices
- Possibly the most common error when mailing the application (Form BOE-400-SPA) is forgetting to attach copies of drivers' licenses
- Signatures on the application must match those on the drivers' licenses
- Foreign corporations and LLCs will not be issued a permit unless they are registered with the Secretary of State
- Contrary to what many BOE employees believe and may tell you, a social security number is not required in order to obtain a permit for a limited liabilty company (this issue arises when the LLC members are foreign nationals without SSNs or ITINs)
Other assistance and tips are provided to our clients as relevant.