- Perhaps most controversial, the Dream Act allows in-state tuition rates for qualifying illegal immigrants.
- Public schools must include lessons about historical achievements of gays/lesbians and the disabled
- Cough syrup and other products containing dextromethorphan, e.g., Robitissin DM and Nyquil, will now require a prescription for purchase by minors.
- Sale and distribution of shark fins is prohibited. This law targeted a Chinese delicacy, shark fin soup.
- Beer with caffeine is also outlawed.
- Parents must keep children in a car seat until the earlier of the age of eight, or the child reaches the height of four feet, nine inches.
- Crossing double white lines on the highway is now illegal.
- Open carry of unloaded firearms is now prohibited.
- Tanning bed use by those under the age of 18 is now prohibited.
- Internet retailers must collect California sales tax on transactions if the retailer has a presence in the state.
- Contractors are now allowed to do business with LLCs instead of only corporations
New California Employment Laws for 2012;
New Probate Laws for 2012;
Jery Brown Signs California Dream Act, Patrick McGreevy and Anthony York, Los Angeles Times, October 9, 2011;
Dream Act is a nightmare for California tax payers, Jose Gizzardi, Lodi News Sentinel, December 31, 2011;
CHP List of New Traffic Laws